Bartender, I’ll have a… carafe of wine. YES A CARAFE shut up.
I’m SURE you remember me from such Factory shows as…If you actually remember me from a Factory show, I’ll be impressed! I’ve only graced the Factory stage a handful of times: Mop Top Festival (a Beatles-themed show? I HAD to), Shameless Shamuses (they needed someone who could shred a blow-up guitar, which I just happen to have a PhD in from Harvard), and I went in as an understudy for Siskel and Ebert Save Chicago (always there when needed). I think that’s it. I also wrote The Guardians of Rock for 2012’s Abbie Hoffmann Festival. I really enjoyed penning a play and hope to do more of it when I get more time… someday…
I got involved with the Factory because…I GOT FOOLED! But seriously… I worked with Angelina Martinez at Jam Theatricals back in 2001 and she needed a Stage Manager for a show that her company, Hi-Volt Theatre (RIP), was doing. Our boss at the time suggested I’d be a good SM. Angie asked me to do it and I said, “Sure! Um, what do I have to do?” and from there I SM’d my first show and eventually met Allison Cain, who hired me to ASM Among the Dead. After working on that show – which was a huge hit – I was hooked by Factory’s tenacious dedication to original work, irreverent style and familial atmosphere. Now I can’t imagine NOT doing original plays with these knuckleheads.
My current/next gig is…Sleep!
I give a shit about our move to Rogers Park because…My goodness, where to start?! From a business perspective, I anticipate taking Factory to the next level, and aim to grow our budgets on all fronts, from operations to administration to production. I also find being able to create and develop a leadership role in the community to be a formidable challenge and incredible opportunity for us. The outpouring of support has already been overwhelming and we haven’t even opened our doors yet!
If I had to force you to listen to 2 albums, they would be…”Magical Mystery Tour” by a band you may have heard of….
and, oh, what the hell, “Siamese Dream.”
My favourite Factory memory is…You can’t make me pick!! But! A short list:
• Ebert coming to opening night of Siskel and Ebert
• The opening dance number in Top Shelf…
• The opening credits in Siskel and Ebert
• The moment Scott OKen and I looked at each other and realized that this crazy plan for a space in Rogers Park might actually work
• Every time I stand at the back of a packed house who’s loving one of our shows; when I can hear people laughing their heads off, and I can see the joy of pure entertainment on their faces… knowing that I was instrumental to creating that moment… I never get tired of that one. Yeah. That one’s the best. Every time.
I’m switching drinks, I’ll have a… More wine. MORE WINE. When I switch…. bad things happen. Just… trust me on that one.